2nd Battalion, The Calgary Highlanders
On 1 September 1939, Canada's land forces were divided into two parts - the Permanent Active Militia (also called the Permanent Force), which was the full time standing army, and the Non Permanent Active Militia (NPAM), sometimes shortened to just "Militia". The Calgary Highlanders were a regiment of the NPAM. The Canadian Active Service Force (or CASF) was an active field force raised beginning at the start of the Second World War for service overseas. A separate battalion was authorized on 1 September 1939, to be known as "The Calgary Highlanders, CASF." This unit was recruited and remained in Calgary over the winter of 1939-40, then moved to Shilo in the spring of 1940 and eventually the United Kingdom.
The 2nd Battalion of the Calgary Highlanders was officially authorized on 22 June 1940, to remain as a part of the Non Permanent Active Militia.
In late 1940, Canada's land forces were reorganized and renamed. Full-time forces became the Canadian Army (Active) and the former Militia, i.e. part-time soldiers, became the Canadian Army (Reserve).
Recruits in the 2nd Battalion of The Calgary Highlanders participated in two parades each week, with extra parades for officers and non-commissioned officers. A two-week training camp was held in the summer months at Camp Sarcee. Other training included Vernon Battle Drill School and Small Arms School at Gordon Head, B.C.. In May 1942, the 2nd Battalion was incorporated into the 41st Reserve Brigade of Pacific Command. The unit sponsored Highland Flings to raise funds to provide the soldiers overseas with additional comforts and extra training equipment. By mid-1943 constant turnover in the reserve unit caused a recruiting crisis and as a result many veterans chose to volunteer again for reserve duty with the battalion.
The battalion organized homecoming festivities for the returning Highlanders of the 1st Battalion on 24 November 1945. The 1st Battalion disbanded in late 1945, and under General Order 500/1945, with the disbandment of the 1st Battalion, came redesignation of the 2nd. On 1 April 1946, 2nd Battalion, The Calgary Highlanders became simply "The Calgary Highlanders" once more, as it had been from 1924 to 1939.
Medical categories had been lowered during the war, and older members, not fit for service overseas, had been accepted during hostilities to make up shortfalls in the reserve units at home. Some older members were retired upon the reintroduction of more stringent standards in the post-war reserves.
The information on this website is intended for a specific audience within a defined geographic area and therefore all content appears in English only.